Wednesday 22 January 2014

The King of Omelettes



Again, I realise I've started off with a major statement. Although having referred to my Scotch Egg as 'Perfect' and my Bacony Beans as 'Brad Pitt', I think by now you might understand how I feel about food. Food wins. 



I really actually wanted to call this a Nom-lette but I don't think many people would find it as funny as I do. Oh and if you're wondering what is actually in it - it's goats cheese, spinach and tomatoes. Nom.

This omelette ticks a whole lot of boxes: healthy, colourful (not just boring yellow), tastalicious, quick and easy. Every time I make a dish which falls into the 'healthy' category, I try my best to make it taste indulgent. Here I have succeeded.

As you can see it's pretty packed to the brim. My confident flipping technique didn't go quite to plan and where half flipped wonderfully, the other half failed causing the semi-landslide you see before you. Luckily it's colourful and delicious so I really don't care.

Pre-flip 
Quantities: Serves 1 as a large breakfast or 2 for a smaller portion

Timings: 15 mins

Kitchen Stuff:
Medium frying pan
2 small bowls

Ingredients:
30g soft goats cheese (about half an inch off the log), crumbled
Handful or two fresh spinach
1 small red onion, chunkily chopped
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
Rapeseed or olive oil
A few cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 sundried tomatoes, chopped
3 free-range eggs (I used small brown ones)

Method:

1. STEPHEN FRY: Fry your onion in about 1 tablespoon oil for a few minutes then add the garlic. Fry until onion is starting to brown.

Chuck in your cherry tomatoes for the last minute or so and remove mixture to a separate bowl. Leave your frying pan on the medium heat and add a tiny dash more oil.

Add your spinach, goat’s cheese and sundried tomatoes to the bowl and mix it up.

3. EGGLES: Mix your eggs in a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour your eggy mixture into the frying pan and spread it around. Tuck in the edges with a wooden spoon and tilt the pan to pour the runny mixture into the space to get it more evenly cooked.

4. FLIP REVERSE IT: When the mixture is mostly cooked through and just a little runny on top, pour the spinach mixture onto one side of the omelette.

Carefully flip one half of the omelette onto the other (over the spinach) and depending on your preference of spinach wiltyness and egg cooked-through-ness, cook your omelette for a little longer or a few minutes longer.

I like my spinach fresh and my egg not bouncy so cooked it for about 30 seconds - 1 minute more.

Transfer to a plate without dropping it on the floor.

Voila.


No comments:

Post a Comment