Wednesday 25 March 2015

Salted Dulce de Leche Brownies

Now if you don't know what Dulce de Leche is, I'm so sorry you've never tried it before but I'm also so excited to introduce you. Think gooey caramelly goodness. The yummy bit in Banoffee Pie. Caramelised condensed milk. Here we shall combine gooey, fudgy chocolate brownies with Dulce de Leche (it just sounds indulgent doesn't it) and a sprinkling of salt. 

These brownies are taken from a recipe by David Lebovitz, the wonderful pastry chef who also enabled me to make marshmallows (yeah I made marshmallows). I don't expect you to wonder why I made these brownies, you can see for yourself. I love salads, I really do, but sometimes you just need a salted duche de leche brownie. You understand.






In the past I have made my own Dulce de Leche by boiling condensed milk, as you can see in my Banoffee Arctic Roll. Yes I was very pleased with myself and it tasted lovely, it really did, but who has 4 hours to boil condensed milk? Nobody. So this time I purchased my condensed milk in a lovely jar from Portena found in a fancy shop (you can also get the canned version). Delicious. 

Now bake, I implore you. 



Salted Dulce de Leche Brownies
using a recipe from David Lebovitz (so you know it's good).

Quantities: 12 brownies
Kitchen Stuff: Medium Pan, 8 inch (or there abouts) baking tray, kitchen foil 
*use kitchen foil as suggested, it keeps the brownies more moist, I used baking paper and found out the hard way*
Timings: 1 hour (including baking time)

Ingredients: 
115g (8 tbsp) butter, salted or unsalted, cut into pieces
170g (6 oz) finely chopped dark chocolate (I use between 50 -70%)
25g (1/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder (1/4 cup)
3 large eggs
200g (1 cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
140g (1 cup) flour
100g (1 cup) toasted walnuts or pecans - optional
1 cup Dulce de Leche
large pinch of Maldon sea salt



Method:

Preheat your oven to 175C (350)

LINE THE TIN: Line your 8 inch square pan (or rectangular, we don't discriminate) with kitchen foil. I used baking paper, but kitchen foil is preferable as it keeps the brownies more moist. Make sure the whole pan is covered and the foil goes up the sides and over the edge of the pan. Grease the bottom and sides with some butter. 

BATTER: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the chocolate pieces and stir continuously over very low heat until all the chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder until smooth. Add the eggs one by one, then stir in the sugar, vanilla essence and finally the sifted flour. Mix in the toasted nuts if you're using them.

DULCE DE YUM: This is the fun bit. Don't get too over excited. Scrape half the batter into the prepared pan. Dollop one third of the Dulce de Leche, evenly spaced, over the brownie batter. Drag a knife through the batter to swirl it slightly, don't over do the swirling.

Spread the remaining brownie batter over the top then drop spoonfuls of the remaining Dulce de Leche over the top. Use a knife to swirl through creating a marble effect. You still want large gooey blobs of Dulce de Leche in your brownie so don't swirl too much. Be generous with your dollops.



BAKE: Bake your brownies for 35 to 45 minutes (Careful if you have a very hot oven - mine were ready after 35 mins but could have actually done with 5 mins less. You want them gooey, not cakey). The brownies are done when the centre feels just slightly firm. Remove from the oven and cool completely. BE PATIENT. Sprinkle with sea salt and devour. 

Storage: These brownies keep very well for about 3 days and taste almost better the next day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment